And you probably didn’t think it was possible for someone to work in a Limp Bizkit reference in 2013. Wait, don’t leave. Hold out. There’s a contest at the end.
After months of talk, the day has finally arrived where I unveil my Mikel Jollett cookie. Have we all been dreaming about this day? Wondering what it would be like? Guessing what cuddly words I’d add to it? I know! I felt the pressure too. What blog could really accompany such a build up to a cookie? It could only be matched by a fantasy sequence. Wayne’s World sounds — Doo doo doo doo. Doo doo doo doo. (And a Wayne’s World reference? OMG, we are in the nineties!)
Without further ado, please welcome Mr. Jollett to the blog in his awesome cookie self.
In my fantasy, a short encounter with Mr. Jollett gives me enough time to say something so intriguing, he agrees to sit down for a few beers. Because we know we are going to be BFFs, there’s no reason for games. He says, “if our relationship is going to be anything of substance, let’s cut through the bullshit.” I completely agree and pull out my list of oh-so-original questions to knock his socks off with. He’s floored by my uniqueness and agrees to answer all of them without hesitation. He doesn’t worry about the long-term consequences of bearing so much of himself in his answers because it was all meant to be.
Here are the questions I’d ask him:
- In the world of writing, are you a panster or a plotter?
- How do you keep your creativity after the grind of working all day and maybe all night? (And if you say exercise I think I’ll have to kill you.)
- How do you measure success? Raise the stakes follow up: Then what are you chasing after?
- How do you deal with mind-crippling self-doubt? What does self-loathing look like to you? How do you crawl out of that dark hole every day to give more?
- What’s your revision process?
- With constant touring and creating new albums, isn’t it a lonely life? Writing is so lonely and consuming at times, I can only imagine what it would be like paired with touring.
- What are you running from?
- What’s the day look like when you consider giving it all up? What goes through your mind? Then what keeps you in the game?
- How do you feel about fans (like me) who take their piece because they think it will make them special?
- Don’t you find people who make cookies decorated with your face the most interesting people of all?
- How would you like to KIT? Facebook chats or Twitter DMs?
I’d thank him graciously for his time, give him my number so we can drunk text, and pick up the tab, of course. I’d leave the night on cloud nine and then follow the band to Seattle to watch him do it all over again. We’d make eye contact from stage to audience, I’d smile and probably give a freaky jazz-hands wave hoping we could repeat our previous night. His view would keep sweeping the crowd, spotting another friend for another night, and then move on to another town to do it all over again.
Hey, how did this fantasy go horribly wrong into reality of Mikel leaving me in the dust? Nevermind. At least I’d have my one night. My interview. And my cookie of his face. A cookie without legs. A cookie that can never run away.
Contest: So what would you ask Mr. Jollett? Leave your question in the comment section and I will add it to my list. On April 4th at 6:00pm PST I will randomly draw from the comments and you will win a $10 iTunes card to purchase Such Hot Blood. Also you will win a surprise from my concert trip. It could be an autograph, a guitar pic thrown at the show (I did get that last time), or another sweaty picture of me with a band member.